Leek And Potato Soup With Wholemeal Melba Toast
- Ready in: approx. 20 mins
- Serves: 6
- • 1 onion, roughly chopped
- • 1 leek, roughly chopped
- • 2 large potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- • 600mls good quality stock (vegetable or chicken)
- • 1 small glug olive oil
- • 1 small knob of spread ( I used Bertolli)
- • chopped fresh herbs to garnish such as chives or parsley
- • seasoning, if required
- For the melba toast • 4 slices wholemeal bread
Place a medium sized, heavy based pan on a low heat on hob.
Add olive oil and spread, allowing spread to melt.
Add onion, leek and potato. Mix through, ensuring all vegetables have an even covering of olive oil and spread mixture.
Fix tight fitting lid to pan and allow vegetables to sweat for 10 mins.
Remove lid and add stock, increase heat and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 20 mins or until vegetables soften.
As the soup is simmering, make your melba toast.
Pre-heat oven to 140C, Gas 3.
Toast wholemeal bread in toaster.
Neatly remove crusts and carefully run a sharp knife inside the the full length of each slice of toast to create 2 equal pieces from each slice which will only be toasted on one side.
Carefully scrape off any excess doughy parts on the untoasted side of each slice and cut into triangles. Place on a baking tray, untoasted side up in oven for approx. 20 mins or until all the melba toast is evenly browned and the corners have neatly curled up.
By this time, your soup will be cooked!
Turn off heat and blend with hand blender until a smooth silky texture is achieved.
Season if required.
Garnish with fresh herbs if desired and serve with melba toast.