Apple and Blackberry Pie
- Ready in: Cook Time: approx. 30-35 mins. Prep Time: 20 mins plus 30 mins chilling time for pastry
- Serves: 8
- FOR PASTRY • 280g plain flour
- 140g cold unsalted butter roughly chopped
- 1 rounded tsp icing sugar
- 1 level tbs caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3tbs cold water and 1 large egg yolk
- FOR THE FRUIT FILLING • 100g blackberries
- 340g apples (I have used Bramley but you could use dessert apples and reduce sugar added)
- 2 dsp caster sugar
- 1 dsp cornflour
- whole egg, mixed for brushing and sealing pastry
- a little caster sugar to sprinkle on pie after cooking
- a little butter for greasing tin
- You will also need a 24cm wide pie tin.
Mix flour, icing sugar, caster sugar and salt together in a food processor for a few seconds.
Add unsalted butter pieces and whizz again until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Mix the egg yolk and cold water together and gradually add to flour mixture. Mix again until pastry has collected together and formed into a ball.
Remove mixture from food processor, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
Meanwhile, peel apples, slice finely and add to a clean bowl. Add caster sugar and corn flour and mix through.
Preheat oven to 180C, Gas 4 and grease pie tin using butter.
Remove pastry from fridge and divide in two.
Roll out first piece of pastry and press into base and sides of pie tin.
Add the sliced apple mixture and nestle the blackberries in amongst the apples.
Roll out second piece of pastry to fit as lid.
Brush the EDGES of the pastry base with egg and and place pastry lid on top.
Press the edges of the pie with a fork to seal.
Brush the pie with whole egg and place in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 mins or until golden brown in colour.
Remove from oven, sprinkle with caster sugar and allow to cool for about 30 mins before cutting.