The Florentine is quite simply the best biscuit In the world!
It has often been said that ‘ The Florentine’ is quite simply the best biscuit in the world and I find it hard to disagree! My easy version does not require any baking. I have used cornflakes as a base which are helpfully fortified with Vitamin D. These gorgeous treats are perfect at the end of a meal or with a friend over a coffee.!
Serves 10-12 Time Taken 15 mins preparation & 80 mins to chill
200g Dark Chocolate, broken into squares
50g Butter, unsalted
4 tbs Golden Syrup
30g Flaked Almonds
- Add the cornflakes, almonds and raisins to a large bowl and stir through.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper (approx 25cm x 30 cm)
- Melt your butter in a bowl over a simmering pan of water. (Make sure the bowl does not touch the water)
- Add 100g of the dark chocolate squares to the melted butter and stir until melted. Add the golden syrup and blend through.
- Add to the cornflake mix and blend through until the chocolate has evenly covered all of the flakes.
- Tip the mixture into a lined baking tray. Press down with the back of a metal spoon to form an even covering over the base and refrigerate for 30-40 mins.
- Remove your chilled mixture from the fridge.
- Melt the other 100g of chocolate in a bowl over a simmering pan of water. (Again, make sure your bowl doesn’t touch the water!)
- Drizzle the melted chocolate evenly over the top of the chilled cornflake mixture.
- If you want to, you can make vertical markings (like those found on Florentines) by drawing a fork lightly over the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 40-45 mins, then remove and cut into rounds using a biscuit cutter, approx. 6cm diameter. Ensure you have removed all the greaseproof paper!
- Store in an airtight container or enjoy straight away!
Tip: Any trimmings leftover from creating the rounds can be stored and served with yoghurt or ice-cream!